WixProDesigner

What can we do to help grow hypelance?

Thanks for your support! I’m glad of it.

Growing communities such as this is quite slow at the start, but hopefully it will soon pickup as more and more people join the platform. This is an ambitious side project of mine and I will definitely keep focusing and keeping attention to this site in time to come. I won’t be letting it die anytime soon! 

Growth is really just based on how much exposure we can get. Many people are willing to join something like this, but if they never hear about it in the first place, they would have no opportunity to do so.

Traffic can be increased if our users share and spread the word of Hypelance, however, that tends to be less impactful the smaller our community is. I still encourage everyone to share in the end as every user counts! Another option is paid advertising, which I have tried out minimally, but since this is a side project of mine and I have my own financial concerns, it is difficult for me to invest heavily into purchasing advertising. That said, any support through our Store can definitely help fund such ventures to grow our community.

I’ll personally be dedicated to continuously improve this site and hopefully we can all grow this to become a platform which everyone knows about.

if you guys have any other ideas or approaches to increase our exposure, feel free to let me know!

On 8/10/2019 at 3:28 AM, Lotus said:

if you guys have any other ideas or approaches to increase our exposure, feel free to let me know!

Have you thought about advertising the place? Like through popup adds or youtube? Sponsorships with youtubers? It'd be a great break over dollor shave club

11 hours ago, catgame21234 said:

Have you thought about advertising the place? Like through popup adds or youtube? Sponsorships with youtubers? It'd be a great break over dollor shave club

Alas, all that requires lots of money which I don’t have at the moment. I am planning to invest heavily into business soon with a large sum of money to pay for advertisements through platforms such as Reddit or Google and I could definitely look into YouTubers, however, I need to think about value. The aforementioned platforms let me target exactly who I want to see the advertisements and therefore get value out of what I pay. YouTubers on the other hand, especially those around freelancers are a bit harder to work with and it may not be as effective.

Of course, I’m still open to discussing with any specific YouTubers you would have in mind who may be a good fit with Hypelance!

Hey guys. This community is really great and I think it has the potential into becoming something big.

I think this community should have its own subreddit, facebook group and so forth, and this way there could be more eyes towards it. 😁

However you decide to spread the word, I think initially you should start targeting those who need to hire freelancers.  I already see plenty of people here ready to work, but far less people looking to hire.

Maybe when advertising/sharing on other platforms, say something along the lines of "Need a new logo?  Hypelance currently has X number of designers who can help!", and then link to a few relevant posts or profiles.

You could even respond to posts on Reddit and the like where people are hiring, and point them towards relevant profiles on Hypelance.  This is obviously not a scalable advertising strategy as it requires some tedious work.  It may serve to jump start things though.  It's a less generic advertisement since you're pointing them directly to freelancers who can help, rather than to your site as a whole.

That's my two cents.

Justin

On 9/21/2019 at 9:09 PM, Justin said:

However you decide to spread the word, I think initially you should start targeting those who need to hire freelancers.  I already see plenty of people here ready to work, but far less people looking to hire.

Maybe when advertising/sharing on other platforms, say something along the lines of "Need a new logo?  Hypelance currently has X number of designers who can help!", and then link to a few relevant posts or profiles.

You could even respond to posts on Reddit and the like where people are hiring, and point them towards relevant profiles on Hypelance.  This is obviously not a scalable advertising strategy as it requires some tedious work.  It may serve to jump start things though.  It's a less generic advertisement since you're pointing them directly to freelancers who can help, rather than to your site as a whole.

That's my two cents.

Justin

I've been looking at opportunities to purchase some paid advertising on Reddit towards the general populace in order to attract clients to the site. As you already stated, manually reaching out is not scalable and is very tedious, so I do want to reduce such a workload.

Thank you for your input. It definitely does provide valuable insight.

Hypelance is not, as is, a social platform yet.

One of the best ways to gain exposure is to either use Paid Media, as in advertising... Apart from that, there is manual organic marketing/networking. It will work best with Linkedin and Facebook.

A tip for linkedin; go by the hashtags on various recruitment and job related sectors. Grab a list of those who have got top exposure over the course of days or weeks. This may take only a minute or two. Strike a casual conversation with a few, talk about your vision and potential and ask if they can spread the word via their networks. Over a month or so, assuming you have a list of 50, and if each had atleast an approx of 50000 followers, and their posts reached atleast 20% of those, and 10% signed up, that would mean;

50k*5 > 250k > 50k (20% of 250k) > 5K sign ups.

5000 signups.

For starters, I am the 380th user here I guess. That is more than 13x more the growth (if my math is right).

Similarly, networking on freelance boards and groups on facebook would be a great way to scale.

Then you also have Facebook Ads too.

With the right filters and strategies, we can scale the cost per reach a lot less than typical scaling.

There, I just gave you some tips. Hope this helps. 

This community will grow, without a doubt. The only question is how fast. 

I don't agree with the LinkedIn part, because that platform is more oriented towards B2B. I am still waiting to see a success story involving a freelancer and LinkedIn.

I agree with Facebook groups promotion, as I know plenty of them where freelancers and people looking to hire them hang around. 

But as a person that has several websites build from the ground up, I know that it's not that easy to grow something, especially when you don't have the money or the time to do it. 

The OP created this topic to discuss what we can do (as a community) to help it grow it, not what tips to give to the owner. Giving tips is easy, getting involved is harder. 

While I understand the eagerness of freelancers to encourage (or push) bringing more potential clients here, we shouldn't forget that if we want something, the answer is often times in our hands. 

18 minutes ago, Sajid Ahamed said:

Why would Hypelance want to ever be a social platform? 

Edited by Cornel Manu

2 hours ago, Cornel Manu said:

This community will grow, without a doubt. The only question is how fast. 

I don't agree with the LinkedIn part, because that platform is more oriented towards B2B. I am still waiting to see a success story involving a freelancer and LinkedIn.

I agree with Facebook groups promotion, as I know plenty of them where freelancers and people looking to hire them hang around. 

But as a person that has several websites build from the ground up, I know that it's not that easy to grow something, especially when you don't have the money or the time to do it. 

The OP created this topic to discuss what we can do (as a community) to help it grow it, not what tips to give to the owner. Giving tips is easy, getting involved is harder. 

While I understand the eagerness of freelancers to encourage (or push) bringing more potential clients here, we shouldn't forget that if we want something, the answer is often times in our hands. 

Why would Hypelance want to ever be a social platform? 

There are plenty of freelancers in Linkedin, and it is not hard connect the dots and see how you can make the best of it.

Linkedin is a space for professional networking. I was referring to how we can use the platform to create awareness and let more know. I am unsure of how you came to the conclusion with regards to a "success story involving a freelancer and LinkedIn."

In reply to why Hypelance would want to ever be a social platform;

It's simple: A community is a social unit.

Also I agree, "we" as a community need to play a part in the process, besides merely expecting someone else to do what we can actively be a part of.

I am just helping the way I can, even if all I can do for now is by sharing my thoughts so it might benefit others. I apologize if that didn't comply to the context of this topic.

Edited by Sajid Ahamed

I thought you meant social media platform. In this case, it doesn't make any sense what you said. This is a community, from beginning, regardless of the size.

If it's not hard to connect the dots on LinkedIn, can you tell us more about the freelancing success you had on LinkedIn? I'm sure we can learn plenty. 🙂

Edited by Cornel Manu

6 hours ago, Sajid Ahamed said:

2 hours ago, Cornel Manu said:

I thought you meant social media platform. In this case, it doesn't make any sense what you said. This is a community, from beginning, regardless of the size.

"Social media" is a fairly broad term - a platform that enables people to connect and share with others. Hypelance would fit quite snugly into that category.

6 hours ago, Sajid Ahamed said:

One of the best ways to gain exposure is to either use Paid Media, as in advertising... Apart from that, there is manual organic marketing/networking. It will work best with Linkedin and Facebook.

Paid advertising is indeed the way to go, however, Hypelance is a community project of mine which doesn't garner much profit. We depend on the goodwill of others through our Store to keep our servers up, hence I cannot depend on huge amounts of paid advertising simply because Hypelance does not have the financial support to do that. One thing I do want to make clear is that Hypelance will never take a commission cut of any work done here unlike other freelancing platforms. Instead, I'll probably choose to opt to monetize the site by community sourcing ad slots and other non-intrusive methods, but that means Hypelance will always work with a more limited budget than other platforms.

I mainly use paid advertising on Reddit as users over there are already familiar with the concept of "community' and discussion, making them quite in line with who Hypelance wants. LinkedIn on the other hand is indeed a very good audience, however, LinkedIn also is a very expensive platform to advertise on with an average CPC of $6.50 which is grossly too much for what I am looking for. 

Facebook ads on the other hand... I have not dabbled too much with the platform. There's a lot of controversy nowadays with Facebook and I really haven't cared much for it. I'm not sure if Facebook is superior in terms of value what Reddit and sometimes Google brings me (CPC and relevancy). It could be worth looking into.

I like being transparent about these sort of things. It feels better to share ideas with the community.

9 hours ago, Lotus said:

9 hours ago, Lotus said:

"Social media" is a fairly broad term - a platform that enables people to connect and share with others. Hypelance would fit quite snugly into that category.

That's exactly why I said I doesn't make any sense. 😉 He's the one who said this is not, as is, a social platform yet.

9 hours ago, Lotus said:

LinkedIn also is a very expensive platform to advertise on with an average CPC of $6.50 which is grossly too much for what I am looking for. 

And that is why I said LinkedIn is mainly focused on B2B, which is true. They deal mostly with companies that can afford those prices. On Facebook you can get clicks for 10 cents if you know what you are doing. On Google is a bit more expensive, but Bing is cheap as well. I know because I paid ads on all of these platforms. I'm not speaking from make-believe. 

So while it's ok to be transparent with people, I'd say is unhealthy for a community to encourage misinformation and people that give advices they have no idea about. In other words, we should encourage honesty and speaking from personal experience only.

But again, this is my opinion. Maybe you want a different kind of community here.

Edited by Cornel Manu

While I did mention paid advertising, I did not recommend it for Linkedin. If you go back and revisit the strategy I mentioned for linkedin, it is purely organic and influencer driven with zero cost, but high effort.

I come from a digital marketing & lead generation background, and have invested 1000s of dollars in both Facebook and Linkedin platforms and I am well aware of the costs involved. If you know how to effectively use Facebook Ad platform, you can aim for low cost per impression. However, paid advertising is not what I want to talk about here since this site cannot support that at the moment.

And I admit that my statement was incomplete  when I mentioned that Hypelance is not a social platform yet.

I would like to rephrase that,

Hypelance is not a social platform that is having robust exposure as of yet to warrant inbound growth at the moment, when compared to other platforms.

One of the things that I do is community outreach for brands and platforms alike. I have personally used both linkedin and facebook for building communities around them for products, services, niches and industries. Pure organic growth with no ad spend.

Linkedin is a platform with a professional outlook and has individuals from an array of business sectors, which also includes freelancers. Focus on that specific base of users and tap into them.

Freelancing success has nothing to do with growing a community based platform. I really don't know why you are connecting this with that. 

What I think Hypelance needs now is more awareness and exposure, what can be done is what I referred to in the above, while also factoring in the possibility of not being able to allocate resources to dive into paid advertising at such a scale that is being assumed here.

Hope this makes sense.

On 10/8/2019 at 1:21 AM, Sajid Ahamed said:

While I did mention paid advertising, I did not recommend it for Linkedin. If you go back and revisit the strategy I mentioned for linkedin, it is purely organic and influencer driven with zero cost, but high effort.

I come from a digital marketing & lead generation background, and have invested 1000s of dollars in both Facebook and Linkedin platforms and I am well aware of the costs involved. If you know how to effectively use Facebook Ad platform, you can aim for low cost per impression. However, paid advertising is not what I want to talk about here since this site cannot support that at the moment.

And I admit that my statement was incomplete  when I mentioned that Hypelance is not a social platform yet.

I would like to rephrase that,

Hypelance is not a social platform that is having robust exposure as of yet to warrant inbound growth at the moment, when compared to other platforms.

One of the things that I do is community outreach for brands and platforms alike. I have personally used both linkedin and facebook for building communities around them for products, services, niches and industries. Pure organic growth with no ad spend.

Linkedin is a platform with a professional outlook and has individuals from an array of business sectors, which also includes freelancers. Focus on that specific base of users and tap into them.

Freelancing success has nothing to do with growing a community based platform. I really don't know why you are connecting this with that. 

What I think Hypelance needs now is more awareness and exposure, what can be done is what I referred to in the above, while also factoring in the possibility of not being able to allocate resources to dive into paid advertising at such a scale that is being assumed here.

Hope this makes sense.

I see, I overlooked your earlier statements. Apologies. That’s very valuable advice, thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind once I have time to explore other marketing opportunities.

A freelance website is a delicate balance between a. jobs, b. freelancers willing to do the jobs and c. the site admins who keep this balance. 

No jobs. No freelancers. 

No freelancers. No traffic. 

I've seen sites grow and die.

Edited by btcpb

10 hours ago, btcpb said:

A freelance website is a delicate balance between a. jobs, b. freelancers willing to do the jobs and c. the site admins who keep this balance. 

No jobs. No freelancers. 

No freelancers. No traffic. 

I've seen sites grow and die.

That is the undeniable truth that it is hard to grow such a website where all parties are dependent on each other to flourish, however, not an impossible task. The first few months are the hardest, but should the site gain traction, it would be set on a path of stable growth.

The site is super dependent on early adopters such as yourself to start gaining traction and I’m really appreciative of that.